Re: Exhibition in Belgium

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 18:50:03 -0400

At 12:49 AM +0100 97/11/06, Mel Proudfoot wrote:
>Hi Luis,
>
>Attributed to Misonne? Yes, Its called "En Passant" and marked Charbon
>Fresson.

Very interesting. Any date?

>In the book, printed by the Musee de la Photographie:
>Autour de Leonard Misonne - Rene Debanterle, Marc-Emmanuel Melon and
>Donminique Polain.
>ISBN 2-87183-020-7

Year? No. of pages?

>It lists three fresson prints attributed to Misonne.
>
>Vintage Sury prints or contemporary work by Berger? Vintage, at least as
>far as I know, about 10 Marissiaux sury prints - in the catalogue they
>are marked as being produced between 1911-1914, and a couple of
>examples, I expect modern, showing the prints in the various stages of
>production. I read the description of the sury process in your
>Encyclopaedia. The colours in the Marissiaux prints are wonderful.
>
>It is an oil print, although it could be a collotype. Thanks for the
>info, the images are very delicate and subdued.

The oil and bromoil processes are extremely flexible, especially with the
transfer technique. The only reason why they are much less popular than
platinum is not because they are inferior but because they are more
difficult to learn. Once you've mastered them however, like David Lewis
has, you are free of having to use expensive chemicals and you are capable
of making superb prints for the rest of your life.

You also have the satisfaction of being capable of doing something very few
people can do.

>Thanks to your Bromoil/Oil book I can now make oil prints, at least I
>get an image - in fact I get a higher success rate than with Bromoil -
>just need to work on the quality. I am still fighting to get consistent
>results with Kentmere Document Art, but things are slowly getting better
>as I sort out the soak temp and times.
>
>Much appreciate your books both for practical guidance and for finding
>out what I am looking at in exhibitions!

_History and Practice of Oil and Bromoil Printing_ has been out of print
for a while. I'm getting many requests these days for a reprint and I
intend to do something about it real soon.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/