Re: Clearing prints and asthma

TERRY KING (KINGNAPOLEONPHOTO@compuserve.com)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 03:44:41 -0500

Message text written by Sil Horwitz

At 03:05 PM 1997/11/16 -0700, Keith Schreiber wrote:
>I didn't think of it at the time, but we could have neutralized the
>acid with baking soda.

Could be almost as bad - the combination produces carbon dioxide, which can
be toxic in an enclosed place.
<

Sil's point underlines the necessity for knowing what the likely results of
one's actions are going to be so that one can take measures to take
account of them. In the UK I advise students to read the first few
chapters of an 'A' level chemistry text book so that they understand the
principles. I also show them a dictionary of photographic chemicals and
their properties. My copy was given as the 'Classics' prize at Winchester
in 1938 ! Is there an equivalent inexpensive book currently available ?

But it also draws attention to one of the perennial problems of our kind of
photography that people try to introduce unnecessary complications to solve
non existent problems. This can often lead to dangerous chemical practices
or alternatives to the already alternative which have have marked
disadvantages in terms of cost , ease of operation or the aesthetic appeal
of the final result.

It is nothing new. It has been going on since 1839 or even earlier.

Terry king