Re: enlarged negs from transparencies

Wayde Allen (allen@boulder.nist.gov)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:37:15 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, TERRY KING wrote:

> Message text written by Wayde Allen
> >I thought you just got done telling me NOT to use lith film developed to
> continuous tone. Now I'm really confused!
> <
>
> Wayde
>
> What I said was do not use lith film for platinum because continuous tone
> film will give better results.
>
> It is quite possible, as I explained in a note a couple of days ago, to
> get good results from lith film developed in PQ Universal at 1 : 20 with
> long exposures and short development. It is just that continuous tone film
> is better.

OK, that makes more sense. I've spent a couple evenings playing with the
Freestyle Lith film, and although it appears to work, I can see that there
are problems.

> This all depends upon the films you are using. Now good lith film seems to
> be as expensive ascontinuous tone.

So far, what I've found seems to be more expensive by a significant
margin. For example, the Freestyle site lists Agfa Gevatone N31P at $136
for 50 8x10 inch sheets and the same quantity of Aristatone Copy film for
$100.

(http://www.freestylesalesco.com/82.html)

In comparison they sell the same quantity of Ortho Litho film for $24

(http://www.freestylesalesco.com/20.html).

That makes the continuous tone film four to five times the cost of the
Lith film. Not to mention the availability of the Lith film in sizes up
to 20x24 inches.

Perhaps it would simply be easier and less expensive to use "normal"
panchromatic films? Availability in sizes larger than 8x10 might be
problamatic though. Not sure about that. Still trying to figure out what
is really available.

Any suggestions?

- Wayde
(wallen@boulder.nist.gov)