Photography as art (was: Prints on fabric & folding screens)

Michael Keller (keller@wvinter.net)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:02:03 -0500

Actually, my experience is that most photographers are no better. They have a very
narrow view of photography (eg representational, full toned b&w, whatever), and
can't understand why someone thinks an unsharp pinhole photograph, or digital
photograph, might be legitimate photography.

It's also promoted by the art institutions, including grants organizations and
government, by offering a separate category of art called "photography." I keep
asking why the NEA has a category called "visual arts" and another called
"photography." Excuse me? Thirty years ago, when photography needed help earning
legitimacy as an art, this might have been good. Now I think it holds photography
back.

--
Michael Keller
Old + New Media