Re: Continuous Tone? (was Re: Pt/Pd vs Gum???)

Michael Keller (keller@wvinter.net)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:41:34 -0500

I thought continuous tone film was defined as such because it had the ability
to record varying levels of density, ie not solid black and clear whites,
like lith film. A digital negative will be all dots, but all dots will be
equal density and identical shape, but varying size. A TMax neg is clumps of
grain of varying densities, sizes and shapes (although uniformity is
supposedly a recent addition). Variations can be introduced through use of
differing developers and developing techniques.

--
Michael Keller
Old + New Media