Re: Photogravure Screen

Walt Goettman (wgoettman@mm.wyeth.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:01:19 +0000

> I am using rosin now, and I hate it. Mostly because the aquatint box I
> use sucks, but also because I can't seem to get a really fine dust that
> isn't undercut quickly. But, Jon Goodman uses rosin, and his prints are
> quite nice. I am moving to asphault next week (I was just given a good
> box) and can't wait. Asphault has many of its own problems, but who can
> argue with the quality?. And, as I see it, if you are doing photogravure
> and quality isn't paramount - photogravure makes no sense.

I always thought an aquatint will be richer than a screen. Thanks for
your info as it sounds like a screen will present more problems. I
have been using rosin after laydown and was starting to have good
success. Suddenly I am getting a grainy tone which I suspected was
from overmelting. As I cut the temperature I am now getting open bite.

Walt