Re: RGB vs CMYK for gum

FotoDave@aol.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:16:37 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/21/99 11:24:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
akimball@finebrand.com writes:

> I've been wondering why I here so much about CMYK gum and so little about
RGB. I don't need a lot of information, just a little?

Adam, I am not sure if I understand your question correctly. Were you asking
why people use CMYK (or CMY) pigment in printing their gum, but not using red,
green, and blue pigment for gum printing?

RGB are additive primaries. They work for light. With theoretically pure red,
green, and blue lights, you can mix all color lights.

CMY are subtractive primaries. They for prints. With theoretically pure cyan,
magenta, and yellow dyes or pigments, you can mix all colors.

(The above are not 100% accurate technical description but are good enough for
our printing purposes. For example, slides also use CMY, so the difference is
not between transmission or reflection but is between whether lights are added
or subtracted. When light passes through a slide, it is also subtracted, thus
it uses CMY).

Dave