Re: Exhibition of alt imagery

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:05 +0000 (GMT)

> frankly, while what you say is true, what harm is done by putting alt
> images
> on the net. i would appreciate it and think both ways is great. i say
> go
> for it if you can make it work. i think the world and cyber space
> should be
> pasted with alt images everywhere--drown post-modernism in 'em. i
> notice
> plenty of alt image makers puttin' up web sites. c'mon--just cause it
> ain't
> perfect doesn't mean it isn't useful and interesting. can't go
> elsewhere to
> look at prints every day--just trying to bring this back down to earth a
> tad?

There are a number of sites with good alt images on the web (none one mine
at the moment) and some of them do a very good job of showing the
qualities of these processes.

One the projects I've never quite got round to is to set up a site which
includes both the kind of technical information and discussion that we get
in this list together with illustrations and examples. I think this would
be so much better than a print publication, firstly in allowing better
quality and colour in the illustrations, but perhaps most importantly in
that it could be amended and added to.

Not to mention that it would be more or less instantly available and free
to use.

In the meantime, here is a very partial list of some sites concerned with
Alt photo on the web - now a bit out of date. Several people on the list
have their own sites also which include both instructions and images.

http://www.sirius.com/~afk/ Quick Start Alternative Process Guides -
        salt prints, cyanotypes etc
http://www.algonet.se/~photogum/ Gum Bichromate and Cyanotype Gallery and
        information - Jeff Stanford
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg/photo/faq.html 2nd Alt Proc FAQ
http://www.webcom.com/gwalker/altphoto/ Alt photo archive - www browsable
http://axp.psl.ku.dk/~ross/ polymer photogravure process
http://www.mikeware.demon.co.uk/ Mike Ware
http://www.algonet.se:80/~photogum/linkphot.htm New Document
http://duke.usask.ca:80/~holtsg/photo/faq.html Alt Proc FAQ
http://www.cs.brandeis.edu:80/~philip/altphotodir-all.html Alt Process
        Directory
http://www.sirius.com:80/~afk/ Non-Silver Photo

I also think a web exhibition is a good idea, and if enough people want to
take part we should go ahead and do it. I have some free web space if no
one else would like to take it on, though I'd prefer someone else to do it
as I'm very short of time at the moment.

As a starter I'd suggest an open show, first say 25 images to be accepted,
all to be within stated size limits (pixels and kB). 1 page of site per
image, with white background (include borders or whatever in image if
wanted), photographer's name, title of picture, (C) date, process. The
sort of simple web site anyone could put together in an evening.

Lets have a little debate, come to some agreement and if enough people
want to take part lets do it. No one is going to have their arm twisted if
they don't want to take part

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/