Re: jewelia just loves paper!

Keith Schreiber (stillpoint@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:18:38 -0700

Judy asked:

>I haven't tried that... how wide is the plexi? Do you put it under the
>paper?

It was about 3 or 4 inches wide by 34 or so inches long. I just slipped it
under the edge of the paper an inch or 2 and the paper stuck to it as I
lifted.

>Meanwhile, I've come to conclusion that weak paper for a BIG print is
>foolhardy, and have taken a pledge to use only heavy paper when the print
>will be on a big sheet, among other reasons because re-register is almost
>impossible (for me) unless it's fastened down if the paper is thin & the
>print big...

At the time I was making those prints around 3 years ago, the only paper I
had that was long enough was some Cranes Parchmont from B&S. It's only about
65 gsm which is slightly more than a typical writing paper. I'm gearing up
now to make some more big prints and will probably use Platine or Lenox or
maybe Simili Japon, all of which are substantially heavier and stronger.

>But that trick with the plexi sounds pretty neat generally. Are you
>picking it up with your hands...? But that would mean getting gloves on,
>if the hands are a bit wet, another tangle... (I can't put bare hands in
>di-water for a second.) And if the gloves are ON, I pick the paper up
>with one hand at each end, which puts half the weight at each point, & not
>a problem...

I think that using 2 long strips to grip the edge of the paper (imagine a
pair of 30 inch wide tongs ::) might be one way to do this without getting
hands wet or needing to wear gloves. I'll try this out soon.

Keith