Re: The Film Developing Cookbook (esp re: PMK)

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:42:03 -0800 (PST)

>William Laven wrote:
>
>>In all, there are some interesting ideas re:PMK and Jobo, but some of them
>>seem untenable or ungrounded. Any comments re: their fears and proposed
>>solutions would be interesting to discuss.
>
>I wonder which ideas about PMK and Jobo seem untenable or ungrounded to you?

For example, using 500ml of developer/8x10 sheet which means 2500ml in the
Jobo Expert 3305 which has a maximum volume of 1500. I think a more
"liberal" figure for developer quantity is in order.

>>>There is also quite a bit about pyrocatechin as superior to pyro. Any users
>>out there with good formulas for contemporary films and results worth
>>mentioning?
>
>Quite by coincidence I recently began a series of tests with pyrocatechin,
>starting with one of the dilute Muir formulas desribed in the book (with
>carbonate as Part B instead of sodium hydroxide). One thing I would comment
>on right away is that the stain is different from that of PMK. It is black
>in color, maybe a little toward brown, but not much. So I guess right away
>you would lose the printing feature that is so nice about PMK with VC
>papers.
>
>Sandy King

I would like to hear of the results as they come in as I'm sure would many
on the list. The stain color and the loss of pmk's use w/vc papers is a
downside, but maybe ther are upsides you'll soon discover.

                           WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

   Workshops and tutorials in Platinum/Palladium printing and Zone System.

   1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
   415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
   wmlaven@platinotype.com
   http://www.platinotype.com