Re: More votes for Rollo

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 08:21:05 -0500

William Laven wrote:

> And how about with Pt/Pd? Is it harder to control the contrast in the
> highlights or are they still manageable?
>
> With some regular-PMK-in-Jobo negs (FP4) I recently made, I was able to
> print them with a nearly-free-of-contrast-agent paper and liked the full
> use of the loooong scale paper, but the highlights weren't terribly
> contrasty and so I'm wondering whether rollo-pyro negs with much more
> highlight contrast would just be too hot for Pt/Pd since it lacks the
> thorough self-masking charcteristics of POP.
>
> What have you found w/rollo pyro and Pt/Pd in the highlights?

Bill,

I go freely back and forth from Zia to regular Pt/Pd with no contrasting
agent and almost all Pd, which is to say the soft, low contrast end of
things. This is because the main reason I might use regular develop-out
is for color at the warm end of the scale. Pure palladium with no
contrast agent is just about as soft as straight Zia. For the more
neutral color of a 50/50 Pt/Pd mix you might run into some excessive
contrast, but for this more neutral color I greatly prefer the Zia
method anyhow.

---Carl