Re: truth in scanning

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:57:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Kevin O'Brien wrote:

> Judy,
> The reason is simply that you scanned at one resolution, 300 dpi, and
> printed at another, say 200 dpi which case your pic would be 1½ larger.
> Most advanced graphics software has some feature for changing the output
> resolution. Once you have got the sizing you want, it should stay constant.

No, the reason was not "simply" any such thing, & I am crushed that you
assume it was, despite my careful explanation. I daresay that *could*
cause a discrepancy, though it has not in my experience. In the case I
cite, all settings were identical. All that changed was the scanner
software. I therefore infer it was *simply* the software (Occam's razor
being right twice a day).

> Some file types keep the info about resolution and there could be subtle
> difference between programs as how they interpret a file. If precision is
> required for registration I would expect repeatability using the same
> program.

Ah, that is the *beauty* of computers, our "expectations" are so
frequently surprised. As in the session this AM with tech support on my
OCR. Great big elaborate upgrade, in technicolor -- can't read a
*(*&^%$#%&*()+#@** (read "ding-dang") piece of straight clean type
manuscript. I have lost much time and nerve coating over it, but *expect*
at least to get my $99 back.

Judy