Re: Making silver nitrate was Argyrotype chemistry

Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:37:42 -0700

At 04:54 PM 3/10/1999 -0500, Judy wrote:

>I don't know how the drain cleaner (aka sodium hydroxide) keeps, but I can
attest from *personal experience* that silver nitrate in either glass or a
heavy plastic bag in a cardboard carton keeps *indefinitely.* I've had some
in each for nigh onto 20 years.

yes, silver nitrate kept out of light and humdity is very stable. I also
think that it is easier and cheaper in the long run to buy silver oxide
than make it. I made silver nitrate once. It was not a nice experience.

>I'll add that those of you who are as old as I am probably had >silver
nitrate put in your eyes at birth. It used to be standard >procedure in
hospitals in the belief (I think it went) that if the >mother had syphillis
that would prevent the baby from getting >blind. (Could I make something
like this up?)

Silver nitrate when used in the right dilution is an antiseptic. The silver
nitrate content is something like in the parts per thousand for medicinal
use. The syphillis idea is sort of correct, probably the most common reason
during the post WWII years with all the returning vets. Silver nitrate
compounds are still used as a topical antiseptic today.

Just chiming n for no reason,

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ