Re: Uneven staining of film with rotary processing

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:10:46 -0800 (PST)

>In a message dated 3/15/99 7:50:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>
>> Would anyone know if if there is some kind of any liner one could put in a
>> Jobo or home-made tube that would allow tranfer of the developing solutions
>> to the back of the film?
>
>Sandy,
>
>When I talked to Jobo about this problem, they actually suggested me to use
>the print drum which has ribs so chemical can flow on the back side as well.
>With that, I now don't have any problem with uneven staining.
>
>The only problem that one might have, according to Jobo, is that the ribs
>might scratch the back side of the negative. I never had that problem, but if
>I do, maybe the ribs can be smoothed with very fine sand paper.
>

>Dave S

Very curios. My simultaneous post re: Jobos is to find a liner for the
print drums because, contrary to what Jobo says, there are problems with
the ridges blocking the solution from the base side of the film because the
ridges behave like little dams. Dammit. Perhaps I should do a longer
presoak or try the m,ethod of soaking, peeling film away from the drum and
continuing, but I see that as a real hassle.

Bill

                           WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

   Workshops and tutorials in Platinum/Palladium printing and Zone System.

   1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
   415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
   wmlaven@platinotype.com
   http://www.platinotype.com