Re: Film Development tubes and Negative Streaking

Stephen Harrison (SH@stephenharrison.com)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:51:29 -0800

.

>Never shake like a coctail. Agitation is a gentle motion for film
>developing.

In tube rollers, the initial contact of the developer with the surface of
the film seems to be very important. Remember,the developer is in the cap
and the tube is inverted with the cap on the bottom. Because of the hassel
of a pre water -soak in this system, and another cap full of in this case
water, that step in eliminated. So the developer hits the film dry. So if
wet developer rolls across dry film gently, it produces gross
streaking.I've learned that. lesson many times and it doesn't work. The
intense 20 to 30 seconds of initial agitation seems not be a problem at
least in my experience. Visual inspection of the streaking is related to
the problem of developer fluid dragging over the surface of the film. At
least in my case.

Stephen Harrison