Re: Kallitype

Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:46:29 -0700

Judy,

I dug through old files looking for an answer to your questions and this is
what I came up with. A kallitype (not a Van Dyke brown) will turn a
mustardy brown when toned in a 1% selenium solution. Any greater
concentrations, I would hazard a guess that the kalli will bleach out.
Second, the highly dilute selenium mentioned in my last post will slightly
increase dmax without any noticable color shift.
I have never bleached/toned a kallitype so I do not know what would happen.
Silver being silver, I can't see why a bleach/toner system like sulfide or
sepia wouldn't work.

One way the I can tell if a selenium toner is working is by the smell. This
may sound crazy, but with conventional papers the old Oriental Seagull
stunk up the darkroom. This was during the days dated BV (Before
Ventalation) The Oriental papers toned like crazy. Kodak papers (during the
bad old days of Kodak....yeah they haven't got much better) Some of the
Kodak papers would hardly tone at all. And the smell was proportionally less.

Do I need to paint a big bulls eye target on my back for this one? ;-)

Joe

>What leaps to mind with that, Joe, is how do you know it's having >an
effect? Is there some test (besides time)? In silver gelatin >I'd try
bleaching, if the selenium is toning, it doesn't bleach >back with a plain
k fe bleach, or does so more slowly. With >"kallitype" (& I put that in
quotes, because what some folks use is >what we call VDB, about which more
shortly), what do you think? >Is there perhaps a color change? I suppose
you could try a bleach, >and/or...... ???