Re: Paper for Oil Printing

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:36:48 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 3/25/99 1:23:58 PM Pacific Standard Time, silh@iag.net
writes:

> This could cause some problems. Dextrin is not potato starch. Dextrin is an
> adhesive made by heating starch (all in the US, I know, is made from
> cornstarch) under controlled conditions.

Is dextrin a general term for heated starch whether it is from potato or corn?

In Luis's "History and Practice of Oil and Bromoil Printing," there is a
formula for Starch-Oil, where boiling water is added in the starch paste, so I
guess it is clear that the "paste" is meant, but I am not sure if Pollmeier
meant the same thing because in another email of his, he also said "you should
even try a small amount of dextrin (potato starch, 10% of the gelatin amount)
to give the gelatin a certain 'tooth' which makes the ink adhear better,"
which sounds like starch to me.

Has anyone tried his formula? Well, I guess these materials are so readily
available that I could try both versions, but if anyone happens to know,
please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Dave S