Re: Recipies for Platinum/Palladium prints

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:24:20 -0600

If you are looking for historical materials on platinum and palladium you
can download in PDF format the Complete Abney and Clark's - Platinotype and
its Preparation -- 2nd American Edition. This is the classic treatise on
pt/pd printing. It's free for the downloading! Any modern printer should
have some insight into the history of the process and how it was done way
back when.

If you are looking for information on the Ziatype which is a more
up-to-date POP method of making platinum and palladium prints with color
and contrast controls, you should check out The New Platinum Print by Weese
and Sullivan, available from Bostick & Sullivan or Photoeye Books
www.photoeye.com. There is an early write up on the Ziatype on the B+S web
site as well.

If you are new and just starting out, we highly recommend that you give the
Ziatype a try. The Ziatype in it's basic lithium form is easier and simpler
than the traditional developing out process. In its extended form, it
offers far more controls over color and contrast than the traditional. It
is also the only way to get those Steiglitz loving cold dead neutral
blacks. The Ziatype also can produce smoother mid and high tones in the
print than the developing out method.

If our sales figures continue to go in the direction they are going in, the
Ziatype will become the dominant palladium and platinum print making method
in the next year two. We also gets lots of very enthusiastic feedback from
printers using the Ziatype method.

The book also covers "brush development" which is a reworking of an
historical method that is fast catching on. Designed for use with pure
platinum, it can produce some of the most incredible prints imaginable. Of
course you pay for it and Carl has dubbed this method the "extravagatype"!

A few years ago there was just one way to make a palladium or platinum
print. Today you are not limited to just one.

--Dick Sullivan

>jan zitzmann wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was subscriber to this list about two years ago, and now - again while
>> working on new projects - the app rose my interest again.
>>
>> I'd like to get a little more detail on the chemical processes involved
>> in the Platinum/Palladium process (PPP) described in
>> http://www.onlinephotography.com/plat.html
>>
>> Since this seems to be a very reliable, high quality process I'd be
>> interested in using this PPP, yet there are no quantitative recipies for
>> it that I could find on the net.
>>
>> If someone has further information on the chemical processes involves and
>> can propose the quantitative concentrations of the chemicals involved,
>> please post here or correspond privately. I'd also apprreciate other urls
>> on the topic.
>>
>> MfG
>>
>> Jan Zitzmann

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857