Re: Further adventures w/Rising & Zia...

Kallitype (terryroth@earthlink.net)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:32:42 -0700

Roger Hein wrote:

> Encouraged by Carl's recent enthusiastic post on Ziatype printing using
> Rising Artist Drawing Bristol, I deceided to hop down to a local art supply
> store and give it a try. While I was there I also picked up some other
> papers I've not tried.
>
> Using the 'standard' Zia 'black' LiPd mix (@ 20C, 50% RH):
>
> -Rising Bristol gave me a very warm toned print. It coated incredibly easy
> and showed only very slight corner 'separation' during the 'wet' cycles. I
> didn't find the tone to be as 'even' as Crane's Platinotype (ever so slight
> graining?)
>
> -Arches Platine coated easy (w/o Tween) and had the 'smoothest' even tone
> of anything I've tried so far. The print was about the same (neutral)
> colour as the Crane's.
>
> -Mayfair SW was a big problem. It coated poorly and trying a high amount
> of Tween helped but it still showed lots of 'blotches' in the emulsion
> (like Socorro but much worse). I tried prehumidifying before coating but
> it didn't seem to make any difference. One thing I noticed, w/o Tween the
> print borderd on 'blue-black' in colour.
>
> -Mirage 'plate' is a 100% cotton rag, 2-ply 'archival' bristol made by
> Rising. This one turned out to be a pleasant suprise. Like Rising's
> Drawing Bristol it coats extremely easy, has the same smoothness tone, but
> is more resilient to the 'wet' cycle (showed no corner separation) and it
> offers a cooler print colour - somewhere inbetween their Drawing Bristol
> and Crane's Platinotype. Adding Tween seems to cool down the tone w/o
> affecting the 'eveness'. Cost (locally) is a little over twice that of
> their Drawing Bristol. Anyways, definitely worth a try.
>
> Like Carl, I apologize if this has be 'beaten' to death, but hope some will
> find it useful.
>
> Cheers,
> Roger...
> Come Visit My Web Site!
> http://www.interlog.com/~rogein
I have had very good luck with Arches Platine and ZIA, but when I
attempted to "use up" some big sheets of Fabriano Uno (cold Press)that
worked fine for kallitype/VDB, the results were very poor----DMAX quite
low, prints hard to clear. In fact, the yellow never did completely
clear. Blotchy, too. A waste of reagents, fortunately my wife can use
the Uno for watercolors.