Re: rc/fiber contact prints

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 09:27:51 -0700

----------
>From: dean kansky <dkansky@hotmail.com>

>I can contact print my rc photogram with an other Sheet of RC paper or
>fiber paper. This would produce a negative photogram. Then, using that
>negative I can print the positive. How good/bad is this process?
>

>Judy said, I should print the rc onto lith paper, and then, using
>lith, print onto gum. Why specifically gum? In other words, why is
>that
>the best?
>
>The thing is, I want exactly what I have, but on fiber paper.

Conversations take on a life of their own. This one has become more about
RC archival qualities than your specific project, but I must admit I'm a bit
confused about what you are trying to do.

Firstly, I've never had a gallery ask me what "type" of silver paper I was
sending them. Galleries do ocationaly ask/worry about alt processes or
color work, but seem to simply accept silver gelatin. The only "silver"
conversation I can remember with a gallery was one that wanted to be assured
my prints were selenium toned! I know Paul Caponigro has exhibited and sold
RC prints, along with Robert Mapplethorp. Not bad company if you are
interested in gallery sales ;-)

My one (and saddly only) museum sale only wanted a verbal confirmation that
the print had been "archivaly processed".

I must admit I find most (all??) RC papers too ..... slick?? Too removed
from the organic feel of cotton and fibers?? But, that's my prejudice.
Like jewelia, I do love paper!

Why not make your photograms directly onto fiber base paper? Or, if you are
trying to do large editions, make one "perfect" print (on any paper you
like), then make a good 4x5 or 8x10 copy neg. Then print the edition on
your choice of exhibition papers, or even an alternative process (just to
keep this barely on topic).

I assume Judy mentioned gum because it is her great love. There is nothing
"the best?" about any process. The best process is the one that fit's your
vision for your final exhibition work.

Hope that helps,
Tom