Streaking, Was Pyrocatechin, was Amount carbonate in developer

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Thu, 27 May 1999 09:41:03 -0400

My recent posts seem to have suggested that I am having considerable
streaking and staining problems with PMK, which is not the case. I have use
PMK since 1991 as my primary developer, developing either by 1) several
sheets at a time in tray, with constant agitation, no pre-soak and 2) one
sheet at a time in ABS tubes with a 2 minute pre-soak in plain water, and
3) 35mm and roll film on reels with agitation at one-minute intervals. All
these methods have worked well for me and PMK is an outstanding general
purpose developer.

Recently, however, I have been interested in minimal agitation development
procedures to enhance adjacency effects and increase apparent sharpness. I
tried this with PMK in a tray, using both regular and 1:1 dilutions, with
a) agitation at 3 minute intervals and b) stand (no agitation at all after
an initial one minute of agitation. The result in both cases was very
uneven development and erratic stain. One could have known this would
happen from a good reading of Hutchings book of Pyro, but I wanted to be
certain so I ran the tests. These results would indicate that PMK is
clearly not the developer to use for either minimal or stand development,
regardless of dilution.

Sandy King