Re: Thank you

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Fri, 28 May 1999 08:17:30 -0700

Subject: FW: Thank you

> One of my students asked me a question about septic tanks and
> photochemistry. Has anyone on the list had a similar experience?

When I was with Will Giles, former Minor White assistant and assistant
editor of Aperature at the beginning; we had a similar problem with an older
septic tank that we were afraid was going to burst and disclose all of our
silver activity. We checked with neighbor, John Saxton who had those silver
recovery kits sent from Kodak, periodically; but he said there was never
enough silver to make it worth while.

When I was working in a commercial lab, we scraped the bottom of our silver
recovery tank, system and after three years got about ten pounds, enough to
fill two shoe boxes. It looks like wet, burned newspaper ashes, by the way,
not bright and sparkeling piles of to-be-anticipated jewelry.

Other than that, dumping into a new septic tank would seem to be okay. We
always operated on the premise that the less you tell, the fewer inspectors
will disclose laws and rules to inhibit any activity at all. Until Henry
Bechtell moved here and built a Post and Beam Adobe house, the permit
catagory was revoked and Post and Beam Adobe was pronounced unsafe.
(Bechtel, for those who might not know of whom I tell, is the owner of the
largest engineering firms in the world. They build skyscrapers and the
machines to build skyscrapers, too.) Laws are in place to protect the
innocent, which unfortunately means fearful and ignorant all too often.

It's your neighborhood. Let your conscience be your guide.

To have a hazardous waste disposal company remove your chemicals is an
expensive proposition. If you can afford $50 a month, go for it.
Otherwise, you will have a silver deposit that may add to the value of your
new home by the time you go to sell that one.

That's my understanding, to date.

S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA