Re: Line-Screen for photogravure?

LETY_BY (LETY_BY@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:59:13 -0500

Dear Adam:
    I've used a 200 lpi gravure screen with some gravure and found the
screen too coarse for my taste. The pattern was very evident. Like you,
I've also had bad luck trying to get stochastic digital film to work as a
screen. But I did have more success with a random dot screen made on lith
film from some sort of special non-glare glass by Keith Howard in Canada. It
was a quite inexpensive alternative ($50?) to the commercial screens. Keith
can be reached at <howard@gprc.ab.ca> and is a veritable wealth of
information on printmaking--including non-toxic alternatives to many more
toxic intaglio techniques.
     I'd also like to point out that while I believe you are correct that a
gelatin resist is capable of resolving a 300 lpi (or even higher) screen,
with gravure part of the issue becomes the difficulty printing such fine
aquatints. It requires enormous pressure, and if one is not careful, rather
than the smoother tones that can routinely be achieved with fine line
screens in pt/pd, what one sees with gravure mid-tones and highlights is
mottled ink. For this reason I suspect a slightly coarser random aquatint
pattern is easier to print (and better looking) than a finer linear screen
might be.
Best Regards,
Byron Brauchli

----------
>From: Adam Kimball <akimball@finebrand.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Line-Screen for photogravure?
>Date: Thu, Jun 10, 1999, 3:08 PM
>

> A question for the few photogravurists who read the list-
>
> Does anyone use linescreen's in their photogravure work. I am still a little
> unhappy using my stochastic screen- mainly because of the shapes of the
stochastic
> dots I am getting using Diamonds (Scitex) and the Linotype-Hell dots. So,
I've