Re: Where can I get the contrast!?

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 23:17:25 -0700

Sandy,

To be honest, that post was probably a bit confusing. I get a little
frustrated with the terminology I have at grasp. Say if I were to do a N+
development that was to be printed in silver gelatin, I would have a massively
different development time than I would for a N+ to be printed in salted
paper! I'd guess the N+ for salt might easily be twice the development time as
for the N+ for silver gelatin. Correct? So, this N+ stuff is relative to a
process - and, it seems, talking about N+ without specifying some ideal delta
log h is more confusing than it is helpful. So, Sandy, your qualification of a
delta log H is absolutely crucial - just quite a bit lower than what I'd have
ideally for the process at hand.

So, what I was getting at is that I need a long negative (delta log h of 2.0 or
so) from a subject that only contains a stop or so of contrast! A N+2
development (speaking in terms of cyano, now) would only get me to three stops
in the negative - not enough for my needs (rather, desires ;)

I think our times check out within a small margin. My 14 minute development is
definately around N+2 or N+2.5 at the most. However, I'd like to get N+3 at
least, or N+4 ideally.

Does that make more sense?
-Adam