Re: red spots, Pd, and Lenox

Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:36:07 -0500

Keith Schreiber wrote:

> Last year there was a discussion about spots on Pt/Pd prints and Eric
> Neilsen wrote the following:
>
> >The little black specs I have passed off as impurities in the chemicals
> >or paper, or both. The BIG black spots, as on the Beinfang print can be
> >imperfections in the paper that allow the solution to "puddle" on that
> >spot. And the red spots that I have seen are from the rubber rollers of
> >the paper making process.

I said that :~) ? I thought that I corrected that to say something rather than
puddle. It would soak into the paper and through the paper. Any how.....

> I have just encountered red spots for the first time and am wondering if
> this is speculation or certainty, and does anyone know exactly what they
> are. I am printing palladium developed in K oxalate and cleared in
> sulfite/EDTA.
>
> The spots don't appear (or at least I haven't noticed them) until well into
> the wash phase. The paper I'm using is the last of a batch of Lenox
> purchased in '96 from Daniel Smith. Up to now it has worked beautifully, but
> today 3 of 3 prints on it have red spots.
>
> Any ideas are much appreciated. Eric? anyone else?

Has anything changed? New developer? new batch of dichromate? anything that
might have particles that didn't get filtered out? NaCl or NH4Cl or???
photograde or less?? Old water filter? well water or city water?

Are the spots in all areas of the print? The red spots that I spoke of were
clearly pieces of a material that I could etch out of the paper as a solid
piece. I had checked with Strathmore about that particular problem. I have not
seen it on any other paper. I have seen some papers change colors from slightly
pinkish or bluish back to white as they went from an acid clearing bath to the
EDTA/Sodium Sulfite bath (with water wash in between). David Kennedy spoke
about a problem with some Rising paper a few years back, perhaps he has an idea?

for what it's worth..

EJ Neilsen

--
Eric J. Neilsen