Re: I'm Blue Over My Cyanotype!

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:29:34 -0700

RE CYANOTYPE FOGGING

This past Fall/Winter I took large sheets of prepared cyanotype materials to
Spain.
Though it was not raining it did get damp a lot.
The cloth material was wrapped in plastic.
The two large exposures (one meter by 3 meters) were folded and brought them
home to "process" in the lab.
Though it was approximately one month prior to the process, when the package
was opened it was apparent some fogging of the material had taken place.
Also, when making an exposure on a rural road in Spain, it had rained prior
and some moisture was left in cracks on the roadway that made blue spots.
All this occurred w/out the material feeling damp.
My presumption is that a humid atmosphere ot Michigan would enhance this
possibility. If it were on the Door County peninsula, that would certainly
"open the Door" to problems.

If one coated at night it might be wise to not only have a fan but a
humidifier or even light heat to aid in thorough drying.