Limits of Grayscale/Printer output

Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 05:57:57 -0700

Hello again,

Received the message below from Dan B. regarding output to your deskjet
printer - it says in effect that the formula, discussed in one of my posts
of yesterday, does not apply to output on an inkjet printer because they
(some, Epson 1520 in my case) use random dot printing (stochastic). Given
that is true, I would like to add that this particular printer will also
print halftones. I have determined that a Bitmap type of file will
automatically render a stochastic image on an inkjet printer (do I
understand this correctly?).

On the Epson 1520, at least on the PC/W98, the setup for the printer allows
for the printer default screening method or for manual control of screens
using LPI, diffusion, etc. Does this mean that the printer is able to make
a halftone even from a bitmap output??????? By the way, my 1520 manual
shows no reference to the word "Stochastic".

When printing a bitmap, when/why/how/what does one do to apply the proper
number of colors (posterizing) to create maximum resolution on output to the
printer or is there a meaningful consideration to be learned here? In other
words, when using a bitmap to print to an inkjet printer are there any
attributes associated with that type of file that will cause the printer's
resolution to be limited to something less than its maximum resolution - or
what is it about the bitmap that makes it work differently?

So, if you have any experience in this area please come forward with your 2
cents.

As you can see, I am verbalizing the newly understood process as I go
along - please bear with me.

Many Thanks,

Nick