Re: Gold Toning

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 13:44:59 -0600

A few years ago Phil Davis mentioned his method of gold toning on the old
Compuserve Photoforum, this was probably a decade ago.

I tried it and it worked beautifully and still have a couple of prints
lurking about. I hope I can remember how it was done, it was quite simple,
so simple in fact you wondered why all of the other formulas. To the best
of my memory all you did was to bleach the print in ammonium thiocyanate
wash and then tone in a dilute solution of gold chloride and wash again.

Maybe someone else on the list remembers it or has Phil's e-mail address.

--Dick Sullivan

At 07:26 AM 8/1/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Lorne-
>
>I have posted to this list a deal of information regarding my interest in
>and use of various gold-based toning formulae. It will be searchable in
>the archive.
>
>There is also a reasonably complete rendition of my use of the GP-1 gold
>toning process in The World Journal of Post-Factory Photography, Issue #3.
>
>Briefly, and for the record, I am aware of (and variously use) four
>gold-toning processes - including the GP-1, GP-2, G-231 and, of course, the
>very useful Nelson's formula. The information you've recieved thus far is
>accurate enough as far as it goes, but please be aware there is decidely
>more to gold-toners than suggested from this conversation thus far....
>
>Good luck-
>
>Jon Bailey

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com