Re: Wet & Dry Exposure

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 08:01:02 -0400

Gary Miller wrote:
> ... But I would watch out for the + or - error in such a small weight
> gain. This may cause some problems. ...

Assuming the range is as John has seen, about 0.5 gram difference
between dry and humidified, and if that represents say a swing of delta
40% RH, then I feel we MAY be able to get a ballpark figure. Getting a
value +=2.5% RH (to the nearest 5%) is probably good enough for the
effects we have been observing. BUT and IF: we don't know the
relationship between the weight of water and the RH of the paper or
coating. This may not be a linear relationship and will depend on other
factors. And this will vary with the type of paper.

The weight of water may be an informative parameter, however I have
doubts if this can be readily converted to a value of RH. But then
which parameter would provide for better control.

My guess is that we will arrive at a standardized technique to reference
moisture effects rather than a measurable value.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/