Re: Pt/Pd-Platine, white spots

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:29:09 -0400

C. Richard Head wrote:
> spotting this out may not be as easy to do as you think. my guess,
> based on my own expert judgement of course, is that these are little
> gum balls of sizing in the paper and at and on the surface.

As with Richard I would expect this to be a paper defect (sizing balls a
plausible culprit.) I am assuming there is no chance of debris on your
printing frame.

I have found on some papers, if they are viewed on a light table
(candled) some defects can become apparent thus enabling an opportunity
to avoid them. I have not noticed this problem with Arches Platine, but
I don't use that paper that frequently. The old Strathmore 500 Plate
finish was notorious for defects prompting me to candle each piece
during selecting and cutting to size. It should be simple to candle a
few pieces, find a defect, coat and print on it, and see what happens.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/