Re: Preparation of Ferric Oxalate Powder

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 19:26:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:
> I just did it with standard safety equipment (all suggested in the
> instructions). Paper towels soaks for four hours and were put into a
> bucket of water with baking soda. Read my notes. I did not leave it
> open all the time in the lab, only to exchange towels. I did place some
> nails around to see if my vent system was removing things quick enough.
> Not the greatest indicator but no corrosion occurred. When the towels
> stop getting soaked, I use a dessicator with calcium oxide. One night I
> vented it outside, but determined that the dessicator was the better
> route....... Etc.

      To save the list at large much teeth gritting and eyerolling (it's a
scientifically proven fact that 5 eyerolls equal an ohm), I cut further
descriptions of safety precautions, acid baths, and lab procedures -- but
ask a couple of softball questions... out of curiosity.

1. Why do you make your own ferric oxalate?

2. What quantity would you have to make to effect an economy?

3. Do you factor in your own time in the operation? (For instance x hours
in the darkroom with an acid dessicator might be tedious.)

4. You have said, "With all the hard work to master such a process, it's
only fair that there is no charge for the information." Could you
elaborate? The theory seems quite original, but could possibly be expanded
to other fields of education, medicine perhaps, or higher mathematics?

5. Finally, why is pt-pd so difficult? I did some a long long time ago. A
friend gave me her classnotes & I bought the chemicals (from B&S, BTW).
I thought the prints I made were very beautiful, in fact one of the
reasons I lost interest was that it was so easy.

Where did I go wrong?

Regards,

Judy