Re: Kodak Azo Paper Question

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 04/05/00-06:50:18 AM Z

Bill,

Pure silver-chloride papers are first of all too slow for enlarging--I
understand typical exposures under a bare 200-300 watt light bulb are in
the 10 to 30 second range. Enlarging exposures would take more or less
forever. Next, by all accounts papers of this basic formulation can hold
a longer range of negative values (act like a very soft paper) while
still maintaining good close value separation. I'm so intrigued by this
that I'm currently getting samples to do a writeup for PT. In addition
to Azo, Bergger and Forte are releasing chloride contact printing
papers. This is nothing compared to the vast range of contact papers
available 50-75 years ago, but maybe manufacturers can be encouraged to
re-release products that are superior. Some of the most stunning silver
prints I've ever seen, by Josef Sudek, _early_ Ansel Adams, and Edward
Weston (not later prints of Weston negs by his sons on enlarging paper)
are on this type of material.

In case this doesn't seem alt enough, one of the reasons I'm interested
in testing these materials is to see whether the vaunted long tonal
scale will enable printing of negatives originally meant for the long
scale processes like platinum.---Carl

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/