Re: Movie Camera

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/09/00-11:49:42 AM Z

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Norman J. Ford wrote:

> I think it is really admirable that you all are so helpful to the
> gentleman looking for a 16mm camera. He should be (and is, I see by his
> post) very appreciative - but is it just me or is this completely off topic?
> I don't normally complain but I feel this should be said as this
> excellent list carries very heavy traffic.
> Norman

Some further reflections on the "off-topic" topic... Often, and within
reason, a thread that strictly speaking IS off-topic is all the more
gratifying. True, there are lists where azo is "on-topic," and pyro,
maybe, certainly large format, movies, scanners, digital printers, and
many other topics that run through here, flaring up from time to time then
dying down...

But I am not on those lists, nor will I ever be, having more than I can
process (in 10 megabytes of server and x megabytes of brain!) with a mere
2. I'm grateful therefore for the odd items, or nuggets, that arrive
already summarized and encapsulated by (usually) experts. The price is of
course the "noise" about stuff I think doesn't belong on planet Earth --
but c'est la vie. (And "delete" is SO satisfying a gesture.)

Which is to say, literal "on-topic" could leave us with a much higher
relative yield of clearing baths for platinum, and problems with same,
plus a few paper differences (from country to country it seems). Not that
these aren't worthy topics of course, but....

It's probably a judgement call, of both senders and receivers. And
intelligent people will disagree... Meanwhile, & however, if people would
not send back the ENTIRE message -- we could fit 3 off-topic tidbits into
the space, bandwidthwise & brainwise.

And could you believe we had SNOW on the cherry blossoms in the yard
today? Extremely picturesque, but.... scary. Will they die? (Answer
offlist, please, Ms. Mothernature.)

Judy