Re: Wide angle lenses for 7x17

Kerik717@aol.com
Date: 08/14/00-10:58:02 AM Z

Michael,

The 210 Angulon will cover the film, but the corners are way soft. I used one for a while and ended up cropping to 7x15 or 7x16 most of the time. Not recommended.

The 3 widest lenses I use for 7x17 are:

183mm f/18 WA Protar. Mine is multi-coated and in a Kodak Supermatic shutter. A TINY lens that is plenty sharp for contact/alt process work. Very dark on the ground glass, so kind of difficult to use. I paid about $275 for it.

210 f/9 Computar. Multicoated in a Copal 1. Great lens! Problem is, I've been told some of these have big coverage and some do not. I think the only way to know if you've got one that covers is to put it on the camera.

240mm f/9 Carl Zeiss Dagor in compound shutter.Single coated (I think). A "regular" Goerz or American Optical Dagor in this focal length (9-1/2 inch) will not do it. The Carl Zeiss version is designed somewhat differently and has amazing coverage. It even hits the corners on my 14x17. These are hard to find and often priced rediculously. I paid about $500 for mine.

Good luck. Feel free to e-mail me off list if you want more info.

Kerik
http://www.Kerik.com