Re: SoS

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/27/00-12:36:51 PM Z

Thanks to all, blessings, and tears of gratitude for the lifeline(s).
(Now what's my excuse if I don't get to printer Monday ? -- tho I think I
can, I think I can.)

For those who haven't gotten the book yet, I recommend the spiral bound,
definitely worth the slight extra cost. Any book that is opened repeatedly
is going to split its binding. Among many I have that are COMING APART or
so loose they're hard to use at all are Keepers of Light and Kent Wade's
Alternative Processes. I have never seen a spiral bound book even frazzle.
Not to mention that the spiral bound will LIE FLAT. So if you're going to
run off 40 copies for your class without paying royalties, much easier on
the copy machine. Or the scanner.

As for the wisdom of publishers, ahem, Randall, they're almost as smart in
the US. I mention in passing the story I plan to tell with details in due
course-- I had a book of "statemental t-shirts" which got me into
photography in 1978 (you know, "I'm with Stupid" and "Save the
Whales"...'78 was the summer they appeared). A friend sent me to a friend
at Crown Publishers who loved the book but ultimately turned it down
because sales manager said, by the time they could get it into the stores
(Christmas 1979), "the T-shirt fad will be over."

Other alt books are also out or in the pipeline. My feeling is that, like
a "restaurant district," the more the merrier. (Tho another 6 feet of
shelf space would be helpful.)

Others en route include Christopher James's now receiving finishing
touches and a new edition of Laura Blacklow's ... & almost certainly more
I 'm not thinking of. Peter Fredrick should be getting around to a
temperaprint book soon. And I know of a couple of others in various
stages. John Barnier's was en route for several years -- so take heart!

thanks again, to all...

Judy