Pre-mixed gum/pigment solution

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 12/01/00-02:20:57 PM Z

I'm using VARN 100% Pure Gum Arabic Solution, which is readily available
from printer supply houses in one gallon jugs. Although I still use some
tube watercolor paint, I'm using primarily dry pigments. I've found Winsor
Newton, Block X, and Old Holland dry pigments to be of consistent high
quality. Sennelier pigments are not consistent (at least the stuff I bought
six years ago) so I don't recommend them. Carbon Black, P/N 10-0330 from
Photographer's Formulary is the best black pigment that I've found so far,
and a 100 gram container will last forever at the rate I use it (1g Carbon
Black per 100ml Gum).

I pre-mix stock solutions of 100ml gum with the appropriate amount of
pigment, and store solutions in 150 ml squeeze bottles. I've used the
"plasticizer" and mortar/pestle as described in Scopick's book, but
contributors to this list claim it's unnecessary, so I'll do without when I
mix new batches. The advantage of pre-mixing stock solutions is that it's
easier to weigh pigment in .5 to 10 gram quantities rather than miniscule
amounts required for 'one-shot' batches. The overall amount of mixing and
measuring is considerably reduced as well. Note that pigment will settle
out, and solutions must be vigorously stirred prior to use. Based on my
recent experience, shelf life is considerable (five years or more).

I'd be interested in hearing from others using dry pigment for gum
printing.... especially comments regarding the various brands available. If
there's interest out there, I'll go into the subject deeper, relating my
experiences.

Best regards,
Dave Rose AKA Cactus Cowboy
A sunny F16 day in Big Wonderful Wyoming

Dave S. wrote:

> It sounds like you premix your pigment and gum and add only dichromate
when
> you are ready to print. I am interested in that. Could you share your
working
> method?
>
> I currently use some gouache mixed with gum arabic to a syrupi consistency
so
> that when I need to use it, I can meaure the mixture and dichromate by
volume
> (even drops) rather than weighing. It seems to work reasonably well, but I
am
> interested in knowing what others are doing in terms of premixing.

* Tracking #: A1B9FF6DA2C7D41198DE00A0C977BA15D532D87F
*