Feedback request for large inkjet negative material please

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 12/01/00-02:29:59 PM Z

The manufacturer of gelatin coated acetate has asked that I poll (and I
hesitate to use THAT term) the alt-photo list to see what level of
interest there is in large format inkjet negative material.

I've tested this material with both Epson 1270 and 1160 printers (the
later using Jon Cone's Quadtone pigmented inks and Piezography software
[www.inkjetmall.com] to get the best negs yet) and have had very good
results. Last week I shipped a show of nearly 40 platinum prints, many of
which came from desktop negatives. Though salability is rarely an
indication of quality or artistic merit, I am still thrilled that my
first 12 X 18 platinum print from a desktop negative has sold. The future
for desktop enlarged negatives is brighter than ever!

Here are the specs:

The material would be shipped in rolls 17 inches wide by 66 feet long.
The cost for these rolls would be $400. This works out to approximately
$4.25 per square foot.

For those with inkjet printers that can handle the full 17 inch width,
the cost of a 16 X 20 negative would be about $11.00 plus ink or pigment
supplies. Those using smaller printers like the Epson 1270 or 1160 (that
can take material 13 inches wide) would have higher costs were they to
make negatives that required trimming the 17 inch material to fit the
printer. On the other hand, were they to make 12 X 16 negatives, for
example, they could utilize that same roll with minimal waste.

The company is very eager to serve the photographic community but they
need some idea as to the level of interest before they commit to a large
material run. Putting a pencil to the profit margin, they'd like to see a
pubescent market (for this area is sure to grow rapidly) of at least 20
users who would be interested in buying these rolls.

Keep in mind that you could share a roll with other photographers so you
needn't absorb the entire $400 cost.

My request:

I'm asking that those who are interested in rolls contact me OFF LIST at
danphoto@aol.com. There is certainly no commitment to declaring an
interest. We're just trying to decide if there's enough of a market to
support the manufacturer's investment of time and materials.

Many thanks for letting me know,

Dan

Dan Burkholder
P.O. Box 111877
Carrollton, TX 75011-1877
USA
972-242-9819
fax 972-242-9651
danphoto@aol.com
www.danburkholder.com

Author of the book nobody should be without:
"Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing."