Re: Palladium

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 12/02/00-08:35:41 PM Z

Emma feldman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just recently started to read up on Platnium and palladium processes
> and would like to know if there is a paper that anyone could suggest
I try?

> thanks!
>
> emma

> http://explorer.msn.com

Emma, There has been a bit of input on this topic and I'll add my 25
cents to it. There are many papers that will work for you. Carl and
Jeffrey mentioned two good papers. I would recommend the Cranes over
the Beinfang as it is an easier paper to handle. However, I do much
more printing on the Beinfang than I do on cranes. Before you get to far
down the path of which paper, perhaps you should decide what look you
are after. The paper has a great impact on your print both in Texture
and color.

As to learning to print platinum/palladium by doing other processes, I
would say NO! :( while it is true that the hand coating of paper with a
sensitized solution many be similar, they are not the same. You did,
however state that you were interested in alternative processes, so
trying many before you concentrate on a couple is a good idea. Each
process will bring to you new challenges that you will need to over
come. Some answers to process problems will find there way into some
other related processes, but most will not. This is why Jeffrey, rightly
suggest, that if you want to learn platinum printing, do platinum
printing. I have been active in platinum/palladium printing since the
early 80's and can attest to the fact that there are many many aspects
to learn and to apply to your printing process. You will not find these
by doing other processes but only by attempting them with the particular
"platinum" process you are working within. There are several streams of
printing that you can flow down; traditional - DOP Develop Out Print,two
camps of ammonium based prints POP -Print Out Print, the Mike Ware and
the Sullivan/Weese Zia system and a zillion other variations. Is it
easy? Yes and No. As some have indicated, you will find that it can be
quite easy to make a print, yet it is quite difficult to maintain a
consistent process over months and years. There are several printers
on this list that are quite accomplished printers that have required
help to unravel a new wriggle in their process, myself amongst them. It
will happen.

You will find proponents of most processes on this list. If the
palladium print that your instructor showed you, as well as others that
you have seen lite your artistic fire. You should find out how they
were made and try to achieve prints that reach that quality. Your
instructor is there and presumably able to help you.

Hope that helps ( put out some flames )

EJ Neilsen

--
Eric J. Neilsen