Re: All Gum Show online exhibit

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 12/11/00-10:30:31 PM Z

Suzanne,

Thank you for responding to my request for artist comments about the gum
show. Looking at your work and reading your comments is for me interesting.
Unfortunately I can't always relate your commentary about specific prints
since the prints displayed on the web do not have titles. But never the less
I do think your abstractions are quite poetic like Sarah's work.

It has been quite interesting to compare the work produced by women vs. the
work produced by men in my camera club. It is not uncommon for the guys to
focus on the technical aspects of a photograph as though it were a machine,
whilst the femme photographers tend to have a more fluid and "looser"
approach to their work.

Your working techique of departing from the in camera image seems to be an
intutive process. Or do you having something very specific in mind (image
wise) before begining work?

The harmony or combination of form, texture, and color in work seem almost
psychadelic, where does that come from? (No I'm implying and drug use here
;-) )

When you enlarge your negatives what kind of film and process do you use or
is it all cliche-verre?

I would love to see these gum prints up close and personel, I feel we are
missing a lot by settling for the electronic versions of this group's work.

Thanks,

Don Bryant