Re: All Gum Show online exhibit

From: B. Izzo (izzos@gusun.georgetown.edu)
Date: 12/12/00-05:25:48 PM Z

Don Bryant asked some questions about my images.

When I make my cliche verre, I don't usually have a
specific finished image in mind when I begin, maybe a feeling (something
swirly, something sharp). The nice thing is that you can keep trying
different things as you go. If you don't like the end product, wash off
the paint and start over.

For the enlarged negatives, I use the Arista lith film. For the first
negatives I made, I used very dilute lith developer, but I have also used
diluted dektol.

As for the psychodelic colors... I don't really have any wild colors, but
there are usually colors over colors. The series of four prints of the
lights in the United tunnel at O'Hare, have a striking contrast between
the blue of the cyanotype and the gum colors. Maybe that looks
psychodelic.

I agree with Don and Judy that viewing a print on the screen can't
compare with viewing it in a gallery. I was able to see the show in Flint
and was really impressed; I wasn't thrilled with what I saw on my cousin's
computer (I can't see any images on my own). A lot of the detail is lost
on the screen, and I am never sure that the colors are really true.
Although you can give sizes, I find it difficult to really visualize the
scale of the work from a small computer image. I also like to see the
whole presentation of the work: how the image relates to the mat, its
color and size. It's also good to be able to see a group of related
images together.

A virtual gallery allows more people to see something, but is it
really the work as the artist intended it to be seen? The travelling
portfolio is a step in this direction. While the prints aren't matted, at
least we can see the actual work which I find much more satisfying than
images on a screen. (Incidentally, I just sent my print for the next
portfolio to Dave. It is one that was in the Flint exhibit. In addition,
to a finished print, I included a print showing the base cyanotype before
the gum coats were added.) In all of this, I certainly don't mean to
criticize Darryl. He did a wonderful job with the exhibit, and the
on-line version allowed more people to get an idea of what was presented.
I'm glad it generated interest.

Suzanne