Re: All Gum Show online exhibit

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/12/00-10:33:20 PM Z

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Sarah Van Keuren wrote:
> Gum printers have to be very tuned into the materials they use, always
> responding to how well each layer of emulsion prints with such and such
> exposure time. Empathy is needed to size paper effectively, to apply and
> preserve this thin membrane which must accept exposed pigment and release
> unexposed pigment with all the inbetween partial releases and adherences.
> So much depends on how the emulsion was applied --

I often think I should start, say, 4 prints with identical first coats &
then be free to take each in its "own" direction. But I want to be sure
first coat is *good* before doing it 4 times, and then....

Also, often as not, a stupid first coat becomes brilliant with addition of
the second...

But maybe it's not a good idea to talk this way in front of those who've
never done gum. They might think it's voodoo.

Judy