Re: All Gum Show online exhibit

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 12/12/00-10:51:08 PM Z

Suzanne,

> Don Bryant asked some questions about my images.
>
> When I make my cliche verre, I don't usually have a
> specific finished image in mind when I begin, maybe a feeling (something
> swirly, something sharp). The nice thing is that you can keep trying
> different things as you go. If you don't like the end product, wash off
> the paint and start over.

So does this mean, at least in some cases that you are functioning as a
painter working with a photographic medium or instead you are a photographer
working with a painter's media?

> For the enlarged negatives, I use the Arista lith film. For the first
> negatives I made, I used very dilute lith developer, but I have also used
> diluted dektol.

So what are you using now? Dilute paper developer with APH film?

> As for the psychodelic colors... I don't really have any wild colors, but
> there are usually colors over colors. The series of four prints of the
> lights in the United tunnel at O'Hare, have a striking contrast between
> the blue of the cyanotype and the gum colors. Maybe that looks
> psychodelic.

I can tell you from my personal experience that it does.

> I agree with Don and Judy that viewing a print on the screen can't
> compare with viewing it in a gallery. I was able to see the show in Flint
> and was really impressed; I wasn't thrilled with what I saw on my cousin's
> computer (I can't see any images on my own). A lot of the detail is lost
> on the screen, and I am never sure that the colors are really true.
> Although you can give sizes, I find it difficult to really visualize the
> scale of the work from a small computer image. I also like to see the
> whole presentation of the work: how the image relates to the mat, its
> color and size. It's also good to be able to see a group of related
> images together.
>
> A virtual gallery allows more people to see something, but is it
> really the work as the artist intended it to be seen? The travelling
> portfolio is a step in this direction. While the prints aren't matted, at
> least we can see the actual work which I find much more satisfying than
> images on a screen. (Incidentally, I just sent my print for the next
> portfolio to Dave. It is one that was in the Flint exhibit. In addition,
> to a finished print, I included a print showing the base cyanotype before
> the gum coats were added.) In all of this, I certainly don't mean to
> criticize Darryl. He did a wonderful job with the exhibit, and the
> on-line version allowed more people to get an idea of what was presented.
> I'm glad it generated interest.

I'll look forward to seeing your work.

Don Bryant