Re: All Gum Show online exhibit

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/13/00-12:10:47 PM Z

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Darryl Baird wrote:
> ... I was struck with the inadequacies of
> slides several times as I unpacked the prints. As an example, Denise
> Kramer's work uses a gold metallic pigment in several images which
> doesn't photograph well, either in traditional film or digitally. I
> believe the traveling portfolio is, without a doubt, the best thing
> going today.

Darryl, some of us are just greedy -- or let's say the web show, for which
kind thanks, whetted our appetite.

However, photographing art (or photography) for slides can be one of the
more demanding types of photography -- more difficult, perhaps than
scanning art or photo for a web site. In any event, iridescence or
metallic can be captured with appropriate lighting for slides -- but not,
so far as I know, by scanner.

In fact photographs (such as the Drtikols in P-F #2) that have a surface
texture are very difficult to scan adequately. We did those (as I recall)
by having slides made from the originals, then scanning the slides.

Judy