ziatype question

From: DAVID DISTEFANO (zfd@lightspeed.net)
Date: 12/23/00-12:11:09 PM Z

First off I would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays and a Fantastic
and productive New Year.

Question: Last night I was experimenting and decided to try a ziatype
print from a 5x7 negative that was made for silver printing.

I first did a straight print using 6 drops of AFO and 6 drops of LiPd.
The high values were right at six minutes but the deeper tones were very
weak. This was to be expected. I then added a drop of 5% ammonium
dichromate. To reach the high value that I wanted, took an exposure of 1
hour. At this exposure the deep values fell into place. One problem
showed up. The print looked like a print from the Civil War. The sky had
a very mottled look, from white to medium gray.

What was the cause of this? The sky is uniform in value on the negetive
and the print without the a/d. as well as the silver print. The negetive
is a pyro negetive and the silver print was made on a grade 3 fiber
based paper.

Thanks
David.

P.S. I want to publicly THANK Carl for all the help he gave me 2 weeks
ago. There aren't many people who would spend the time like he did
answering my questions via e-mail.

Thank you again Carl
David