First kallitype

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 12/23/00-07:57:30 PM Z

Well, beginners luck or what I made an absolutely first rate
kallitype from one of my 7X17 negatives on the very first try. I did
not even make a test print, just exposed the negative exactly as I
had for making a carbon. To say that I was stunned by the result, and
by characteristics of the process, is much an understatement. For
anyone interested here is what I did.

1. Coated with a rod a sheet of Bristol Rising 2-ply with the
standard sensitizer described in Farber, using 3ml for the 7X17
negative. I added one drop of 20% Tween to the sensitizer.
2. Left coated paper to air dry for 30 minutes.
3. Exposed with a UV light (BL tubes), with some dodging and burning,
for a time previously established time with this negative for a
carbon print. DR of negative about 1.6.
4. Developed for 2.0 minutes at room temperature using the sodium
acetate + Tartaric acid developer for neutral gray-black tones. At
this point print was slightly on the heavy side, a little more dense
than previous carbons.
5. Washed print in running water for 5.0 minutes.
6. Toned with platinum (5g of sodium citrate + 5ml of platinum
solution #3 per liter of water) for one minute. The image lost about
1/2 step of density during toning.
7. Washed print for 1.0 minutes in running water.
8. Fixed print for 5.0 minutes in a 2.5% sodium thiosulfate solution.
The print lost no more density during fixing.
9. Washed print for 2.0 minutes in running water.
10. Cleared print for 2.0 minutes in a 3% EDTA solution.
11. Washed print for 10 minutes.
12. Dryed.

Result: Density of print close to perfect. Good deep rich shadows.
Neutral gray/black color.

Thanks to all on the list who offered advice. As one will note the
working procedures described above combine recommendations from
several published sources but are not identical to any one of them.

Sandy King