Re: First kallitype

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 12/29/00-02:09:15 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: Sandy King <sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Cc: <stwang@clemson.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2000 5:57 PM
Subject: First kallitype

Sandy King wrote:

> Well, beginners luck or what I made an absolutely first rate
> kallitype from one of my 7X17 negatives on the very first try.>>

The first time is quite often the best! I was interested in your your very
thorough account of kalli printing. I am curious to know why you chose
Farber as your source. I didn't think he was an authoritative reference, but
then it's some time since I read him and my opinion is somewhat distorted .
I was reading him on a crowded commuter train and my fellow passengers
looked at me as much as to say " What's that old pervert doing reading a
girlie mag - especially a blue one!!
I've always found Dick Steven's Kallitype - a Definitive Guide (which I
assume you know) published by Focal 1993 a very comprehensive guide. A bit
complicated in places but he does cover most of Dr. Nicols's copious
experiments from simple to v. difficult ( for me at any rate.)
As a matter of interest has any anyone seen an image made in any process by
Dr. Nicol? Or was he a chemist who didn't take photos.
At this point we have to make a public confession. In Spirits of Salts ( if
you have it) in the chapter on kalli/vdb we inserted a palladium print. We
did this deliberately and without any sense of shame, but as nobody has
noticed it yet then it was probably a waste of time anyway
Finally, on the question gum and di-chromate, has anyone heard of indian ink
prints using gelatin and ferric chloride -(filthy stuff).
A Happy New Year to all our readers !
Randall Webb ( and Martin Reed.)