kallitype

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 12/24/00-12:33:34 PM Z

Joe,

Now that I have seen how viable the kallitype process is for me, both
for its own qualities and for the fact that it is perfectly balanced
in speed to carbon printing, I have gone back and looked at some of
the things that need to be done to maximize the stability of the
process. What I have decided to do is use two separate clearing
baths after development, one of EDTA, the other of Citric Acid, each
for two minutes. I will also use a 1.5% sodium sulfite solution after
fixing to eliminate the hypo problem.

I made another kallitype today, this one toned with a 1:100 Rapid
Sodium Sulfite solution. There was no bleaching of the image at all
with this toner, either during toning or afterward in the fixer. The
platinum toner lead to a slight loss of density, as I noted in my

Sandy