Re: gum printing without dichromate

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/27/00-10:40:11 AM Z

Birdie,

I have a 20 year old paper lurking about here somewhere where someone was
using ferric oxalate. I think you get a tanning action on the colloid (gum)
from the exposure-development. Ammonium ferric oxalate may prove even more
effective as its development effect is even more powerful.

--Dick Sullivan

At 03:27 PM 12/27/2000 +1030, you wrote:
>I have experimented with printing onto canvas using gum arabic without
>using any dichromate (having never done a regular gum print). A couple of
>partial successes suggested it is possible. I made a faint photogram of
>leaves placed on a sheet of glass, using a watery solution of gum, instant
>coffee, and water. When I washed off the solution off the brown/white
>image was visible. I made a print of a transparency using a solution of
>gum,prussian blue pigment and water(mostly gum). The gum hardened in
>patches, clearly showing a high contrast blue/white high contrast image
>in the hardened patches.It washed off totally when i rinsed it. Both
>prints were done in a day.
>
>Has anybody else have any knowledge or eperience of non-dichromate gum
>printing. Any morsel of information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Birdie

Note address change!
Please change your address book to richard@bostick-sullivan.com
505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857