gum printing without dichromate

From: Jean Burdett (jburdett@chariot.net.au)
Date: 12/26/00-10:57:48 PM Z

I have experimented with printing onto canvas using gum arabic without using any dichromate (having never done a regular gum print). A couple of partial successes suggested it is possible. I made a faint photogram of leaves placed on a sheet of glass, using a watery solution of gum, instant coffee, and water. When I washed off the solution off the brown/white image was visible. I made a print of a transparency using a solution of gum,prussian blue pigment and water(mostly gum). The gum hardened in patches, clearly showing a high contrast blue/white high contrast image in the hardened patches.It washed off totally when i rinsed it. Both prints were done in a day.

Has anybody else have any knowledge or eperience of non-dichromate gum printing. Any morsel of information would be greatly appreciated.

                                               Birdie