Re: printing out paper

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 12/28/00-11:57:10 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Portale <jportale@gci-net.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2000 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: printing out paper

> Diana,
>
> Probably the simplest way to understand the difference between printing
out
> and developing out papers is the way the image appears after exposure. A
> printing out paper will show an image after exposure with little or no
> additional development needed to show the image. Developed out means you
> need to use a developer to have the image come up. It does not matter if
you
> hand coat or use a commercially made paper. The developing out or printing
> out is a function of the sensitizer and metals used.
>
> You stated that you use Ziatypes. If done properly with the right humdity,
> phase of the moon, etc, you will have a printed out image after exposure.
> Compair this to conventional silver papers, Ilford Multigrade, Kodak
> Polycontrast, these are developing out papers.
>
> Hope this helped.
>
> Joe Portale
> Tucson, AZ

Here is a totally useless piece of information. Developing out papers can
also be used as POP. Ilford,Kodak Forte etc will print out in UV or
daylight.
It takes considerably longer than cyanotype. I use it for lectures and
demonstrations. Having previously placed a sheet of factory coated paper in
a black bag and before the audience I take it out and place it and a
negative under the lamp. There is always a smart-ass in the audience who
says something like " We have an idiot here. He's just fogged a piece of
paper."
By the way, don't develop it or it will go black. You will find an example
on page of Spirits of Salts.
Randall Webb